II. Gathering, Use and Disclosure of Information.
We collect both Non-Personally-Identifying Information and Personally-Identifying Information from you. "Non–Personally–Identifying Information" is information that, without the aid of additional information, cannot be directly associated with a specific person or entity. "Personally–Identifying Information," by contrast, is information such as a first and last name, telephone number, home address, or email address that, without more, can be directly associated with a specific person or entity.
A. Non-Personally Identifying Information.
1. Gathering Non-Personally-Identifying Information.
Web Browsers. Like most site operators, we gather Non-Personally-Identifying Information from you of the sort that web browsers, depending on their settings, may make available. That information includes your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, operating system and browser type, and the locations of the web pages you view right before arriving at, while navigating, and immediately after leaving this Site. Much of this information is collected automatically when you visit the Site.
Web Cookies. A "Web Cookie" is a string of information that a site stores on your computer, and your browser provides to this Site, each time you submit a query to this Site. We may or one of our third-party vendors, including Google, use Web Cookies to track the pages that you visit during each Site session, both to help us improve your experience and to help us understand how this Site is being used and to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on someone’s past visits to the Site and/or to report how ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to your visit to the Site.
IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO HAVE WEB COOKIES PLACED ON YOUR COMPUTER, YOU SHOULD SET YOUR BROWSER TO REFUSE WEB COOKIES BEFORE ACCESSING THIS SITE, WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT CERTAIN FEATURES OF THIS SITE MAY NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY WITHOUT THE AID OF WEB COOKIES. IF YOU REFUSE WEB COOKIES, YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY RESULTING LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY.
2. Use of Non-Personally-Identifying Information.
We analyze Non–Personally–Identifying Information gathered from users of this Site to help us better understand how this Site is being used. By identifying patterns and trends in usage, we are able to better design this Site to improve your experiences, both in terms of content and ease of use. We link information gathered using Non-Personally-Identifying Information to Personally-Identifying Information.
3. Disclosure of Non-Personally-Identifying Information.
From time to time, we may also release the Non–Personally–Identifying Information gathered from Site users in the aggregate, such as by publishing a report on trends in the usage of this Site or services requested or performed by us.
B. Personally-Identifying Information.
1. Gathering Personally-Identifying Information.
When you register with this Site, contact us, or request Services from Scion Labs, if applicable, you may be asked to disclose Personally–Identifying Information, including but not limited to your first name, last name, age and gender, email address, telephone number(s), address, billing information, and other information necessary to provide services to you.
You may also be asked to provide medical information about you (Protected Health Information), such as insurance information, information about your physician, and other health information, including without limitation personal and biological family medical history, ancestry, and other key data relevant to genetic or other testing Services provided by or through Scion Labs. Protected Health Information also includes other information that may identify you and that relates to past, present or future physical or mental health, or condition and related health services.
To receive testing Services from us, you will be required to submit a biological sample to us, including blood, urine, or saliva for testing purposes. We collect, process and store this information based upon applicable guidelines and regulations.
2. Gathering Personally-Identifying Information from Third Party Sources.
We may also license or purchase data, including Personally-Identifying Information, from third party sources. This data may include, but is not limited to: first and last name; gender; email address; postal address; home phone number; cell phone number, and confirmation of certain health criteria relative to testing services provided by Scion Labs. We may also receive personal and/or biological family health information from your physician or other health care provider.
3. Use of Personally-Identifying Information.
We may use your Personally–Identifying Information in the following ways:
- Send you or your health care professional test results or other relevant information.
- Process any test that may be ordered by you or your health care professional.
- billing and/or collection services to you and/or your insurance carrier for our services.
- Verify your insurance benefits, coverage, and/or eligibility
- Send product or service updates
- Respond to customer service requests
- Administer your account
- Send you newsletters
- To communicate with you
- To communicate with a responsible party if you are listed as a dependent on another person’s insurance policy
- Respond to your questions and concerns
- Improve our Site, services, and marketing efforts
- To conduct internal quality controls and validation studies
- Conduct research, development, and analysis
- To provide requested information, products and services to users via the Site or through other online or offline channels
- To improve the user experience with the Site
- In connection with the operation of the Site
- For users to obtain information and offers for products and services offered by us.
- To comply with applicable law
4. Disclosure of Personally-Identifying Information to Third Parties.
We will disclose Personally-Identifying Information in the following circumstances:
- Employees, Third Party Processors and Third Party Service Providers. We will disclose Personally-Identifying Information to our employees, contractors, affiliates, distributors, dealers, vendors, suppliers, and service providers who: process Personally-Identifying Information and Protected Health Information on our behalf; participate with us in the provision or operation of this Site; provide us with other services, such as communication services, order fulfillment services, billing and collection services, testing services, utilization review, or information / eligibility verification services, or provide you with services. The disclosure of Personally-Identifying Information or Protected Health Information is limited to the information relevant for the service provided by the employee, third party processor or third party service provider, and is further protected by physical, electronic and administrative safeguards.
- By Law, to Protect Rights and to Comply with Our Policies. We disclose Personally-Identifying information if: (1) required to do so by law, or in response to a subpoena or court order or request from a governmental agency or law enforcement; (2) we believe in our sole discretion that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect against fraud, to protect the property or other rights of us or other users, third parties or the public at large; or (3) we believe that you have abused the service by using it to attack other systems or to gain unauthorized access to any other system, to engage in spamming or otherwise to violate applicable laws.
- Research and Development. Your de-identified genetic or other health information may be used by us or third parties for medical research and development, including without limitation, for advancements in genetics, medicine, disease identification, and/or treatment. Any information that has been de-identified in accordance with standards established under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended, (“HIPAA”) is not considered Protected Health Information. This information may be used by us for any lawful purpose. You will have the option to exclude your genetic information from being used for research and development as part of an Informed Consent that you must sign in order to submit for testing by or through Scion Labs and/or its third party reference laboratories.
5. Security of Personally-Identifying Information and Protected Health Information.
Scion Labs utilizes industry standard security safeguards, including firewalls and encrypted data servers, to protect your Personally Identifying Information and Protected Health Information, and to otherwise secure your information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. Scion Labs maintains the confidentiality of your Protected Health Information in accordance with HIPAA and applicable state law. However, the security of information transmitted via the internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Further, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or store in connection with our services, and you do so at your own risk. Scion Labs therefore disclaims any warranties or representations relating to maintenance or nondisclosure of Personally Identifying Information.
In addition, Scion Labs uses secure sockets layer encryption (SSL) for establishing an encrypted link between its Site and a browser. The Internet is not a secure medium for transmission of information. It is subject to intentional hacks, loss of data, and interception by unintended third parties. Based thereon, Scion Labs cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us over the Internet, and you do so at your own risk. The email communication links on our Site are not a completely secure and confidential means of communication. It is possible that these communications may also be accessed and/or intercepted by third parties while in transit to us. The use of such email correspondence is at your own risk.
III. Limitations on Liability.
SCION LABS DOES NOT HAVE ANY CONTROL OVER AND ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONTENT OR PRIVACY PRACTICES OF ANY THIRD PARTY WEBSITE OR SERVICES. YOU SHOULD REVIEW THE SPECIFIC PRIVACY POLICIES POSTED ON SUCH THIRD PARTY SITES IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THOSE THIRD PARTY SITES.
IV. California Residents and International Users.
A. California Residents.
How do you respond to Web browser “do not track” (“DNT”) signals or other mechanisms that provide consumers the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personally identifiable information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third party websites or online services?
We do not monitor DNT signals or similar mechanisms.
May other parties collect personally identifiable information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across different websites when they visit the Site?
California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services for personal, family or household use are entitled to either: (1) a list detailing the categories of information shared and the entities to which such information was provided; or (2) to be notified of a mechanism by which a consumer may opt-out of having their information shared with third parties. We have elected the second option. To opt-out of having your information shared with third parties, contact us at [email protected].
In accordance with California Civil Code Sec. 1789.3, California resident users are entitled to know that they may file grievances and complaints with the California Department of Consumer Affairs, 400 R Street, STE 1080, Sacramento, CA 95814; or by phone at 916-445-1254 or 800-952-5210; or by e-mail to [email protected].
B. International Users.
This Site and the Services are operated and controlled from within the United States and are not intended to be subject to the laws or jurisdiction of any other country or territory outside of the United States. Any information provided to Scion Labs through the use of this Site and/or the Services may be stored, processed, transferred between, and accessed from the United States and other countries which may not guarantee the same level of protection of personal data as the country in which you reside. By providing any information through the Site and/or as part of the Services, you consent to such use, storage, processing, transfer, and access of your personal information. If you use the Site and/or Services from outside the United States, you further acknowledged and agree that you are transferring your personal information to the US and the laws and regulations of the US shall govern and control your use of the Site and/or Services.
Certain jurisdictions outside of the United Sates may provide customers the with the right to access, update, and/or remove their personal information from our database at any time, or subject to applicable laws and regulations of such jurisdictions. Such customers may also have the right to object to or restrict the processing of their personal information and/or request that we provide such information to another organization. Your failure to provide certain personal information to Scion Labs or an objection to the processing of your personal information may make it impossible for Scion Labs to provide the Services to you and may result in a cancellation of the Services.
If you wish to be informed about what personal information we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us. Please note that we may require that such requests be made in writing and we may further require proof and verification of your identity prior to responding to such requests.
V. Data Retention
Scion Labs retains your Personally Identifying Information and Protected Health Information to the extent necessary to comply with its legal and regulatory obligations (including state and federal rules, regulations, laws, licensure requirements, audits, accounting, and statutory retention), resolve disputes, enforce our legal agreements and policies, and for internal analysis purposes.
VI. Additional Information.